Friday, April 20, 2012

Pan Roasted Broccoli

This is my husband’s favorite way to eat broccoli and I haven’t made it since our son was born more than a year ago.  Tonight I decided to make it as a treat to my husband, and I discovered that not only my husband likes it, but my 15-month-old likes it too!  He particularly liked the stems (who wouldn’t with salt and pepper on them?).  Guess I have to make it more often. 


This recipe is originally from Cook’s Illustrated.











Pan Roasted Broccoli
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp fresh ground pepper
2 tbsp olive oil

1 1/4 lb broccoli, separated into small florets, and stems, sliced


3 tbsp water (I find with my Le Creuset cookware this is enough water, if you’re using a pan with a lid that doesn’t seal as tightly add 1 tbsp more)


In a small bowl, combine water, salt and pepper until salt has dissolved.  In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.  Add the broccoli stems in a single layer.  Don’t stir. Cook for 3-4 minutes until browned.  Add the florets and toss to combine. Don’t stir.  Cook for 1-2 minutes.  Add the water mixture, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low.  Cook for 3-4 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment