Monday, January 23, 2012

Split Pea Soup


Split pea soup. A winter staple. In our house, I've had to modify the traditional recipe to take out the ham hocks since they are not nitrite free. It took me a long time to figure out how to add good flavor to the soup without the ham hocks, but I think I finally got it.










Split Pea Soup (nitrite free)

6 cups gluten free chicken broth (I like Costco brand)
6 cups water
3 1/2 cups dried split peas, rinsed and drained
1 onion, chopped
6 celery stalks, chopped
6 carrots, chopped
2 lbs uncured, boneless, nitrite free ham (like Beeler's Ham), chopped

Combine chicken broth, water, split peas, onion and celery in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1-1.5 hours. Blend approx half of the mixture and return to pot. Add carrots and ham. Return to a boil and simmer 30-45 minutes or until carrots are soft.

No comments:

Post a Comment